Membership of the Society is open to anyone with an interest in Irish legal history. Our Society includes members of the judiciary, practising lawyers, academic lawyers, historians, students and members of the general public. Our members come from Ireland, the United Kingdom, Europe, the United States, and other parts of the world. We offer two levels of membership: full membership and student membership.
Any person with an interest in Irish legal history is cordially invited to apply for membership. Our full members include judges, practicing lawyers, academics from law, history and other disciplines, librarians, and others with an interest in the history of Irish law.
What are the benefits of joining the Irish Legal History Society?
- A copy of each book published by the Society
- Invitations to attend the Society’s annual general meeting
- Invitations to the Autumn and Spring Discourses
- Invitations to other lectures, conferences, book launches and other events organised by the Society
- Eligibility for awards and prizes, such as the WN Osborough Legal History Composition Prize.
New members are also entitled to purchase earlier publications of the Society at a special membership discount rate. The annual subscription is €70 / £60 and falls due on 1 July.
It should be paid by standing order directly to one of the Society’s accounts in Dublin or Belfast.
To become a member please complete the membership application form and return by post to one of the Society’s Joint Secretaries.
Click HERE to download the membership form.
Membership of the Society is available at a reduced rate of €25 or £22.50 for students. This is open to all undergraduate, graduate and postgraduate students with an interest in Irish legal history, regardless of jurisdiction or whether or not they are pursuing a degree in legal history.
Why become a student member of the Irish Legal History Society?
- All student members receive a copy of each book published by the Society (normally one per year)
- New student members are also entitled to purchase the Society’s earlier publications at a special discount rate.
- Only student members may apply for the Irish Legal History Bursary
- Members may attend the Society’s annual general meeting
- All members may attend the Society’s Autumn and Spring Discourses
- Members will receive details of and invitations to other lectures organised by the Society
- Members may apply for such other funding as is made available by the Society, or enter such competitions as the Society may run, such as the WN Osborough Legal History Composition Prize
The annual subscription for students is €25 / £22.50, due on 1 July and payable by standing order. To become a student member please complete the following form, and return by post to one of the Joint Secretaries.
Click HERE to download the student membership form.
The society have a facility for payment of North American subscriptions in US dollars (Full membership, $85; Student membership, $40).
Please contact Barbara Crowe for further information.
All membership queries can be directed to:
39 Holywell Grove
County Wicklow, A63 RF60